Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Wed, 31 May 2000 11:15:34 MST

> > Not that sort...it's just that I can see the differences, and we're
> > not talking about simple schwarzenneger stuff. What I mean is that
> > there is a certain way to how western writers approach
> > storytelling, and that is what I want to see.
>
>I understand what you are saying, but the simple fact is that
>American screen writers approach sci-fi from a totally different
>perspective, that is incompatible with Gundam. There has never been a
>serialized sci-fi property in America, that wasn't a different type
>of mainstream show in sci-fi clothing (i.e Alien Nation=Heat of the
>Night+Aliens, Battlestar Galactica=Dukes of Hazzard+Spaceships, Star
>Trek:TNG= Thirtysomething+prosthetic foreheads). The reason for that
>is because that is how the American tastes view Sci-Fi. There is no
>way to reconcile American serial writing, with a story like Gundam.
>You can't really pitch it by saying, "it's like ________ meets giant
>robots," so it does not fit into the American video repertoire
>nicely.

I don't think that Babylon 5 fits your definition of a mainstream show in SF
guise. Sure JMS pitched it to the hollywood execs by saying it was
'Casablanca in Space' but that definition really only applies to the first
and maybe the second seasons.

SNIP

>Here I have to say that I think you are just more sensitive to
>Japanese stereotypes, than you are to American stereotypes. For
>example Char is a more complex, fleshed out, and interesting nemesis
>that any example I can think of in any American sci-fi show. The
>typical American sci-fi nemesis is always cast in one of a very few
>restrictive stereotypes, and frankly I can not think of a single
>American show, off the top of my head, where the main nemesis
>returned in a sequel as one of the headliner protagonists, only to
>return later as an arch-nemesis.

Again, while I don't particularly like most American SF, I've got to speak
out in defense of B5. If you take a look at some of the character arcs in
Babylon 5, they're just as complex and fleshed, if not more so, than Gundam
characters. Comparing a character like Londo Mollari, Garabaldi or G'Kar to
Char Aznable, I think the former's character arcs are more interesting,
mainly because we get to watch the whole gradual transformation of their
characters. Char goes through a lot of changes, but some of the the most
interesting parts, character development wise happen offscreen. (to be fair
though, B5 had more than 4 x the amount of screen time of an average Gundam
series to accomplish these character transformations)