Federico Makabenta (yenm@iconn.com.ph)
Wed, 31 May 2000 00:51:09 +0800

From: Salamangka <gaijin@i-manila.com.ph>

> 1.) I like the american style of storytelling. one thing about gundam is
that
> the pacing and editing is a bit too slow sometimes.

given the kind of budget Japanese cartoons have, that's usually a given. I
think the highest budget ever given to an anime tv series is Escaflowne -
mainly because Shouji Kawamori's name had itself pasted on top of it.

> 2.) Hard sci-fi, as in really technical...and showing solutions based on
science
> facts.

I don't see this in comics - I really think the Japs are more advanced in
this aspect on the commercial side - esp. in Gundam and other anime. I
hardly think Star Wars or Starship Troopers were movies of hard sci-fi
excellence. They were glitzy... Same goes for many shown on TV.

But if you mean stuff that comes out in trade mags like Absolute Magnitude -
perhaps. It's still hard to transfer that kind of experience to a standard
viewer - they're so used to seeing misconceptions that they start to think
that this particular thing happens in actuality. C'mon - a bug sending
asteroids to break light speed? Get real...

> 3.) killer soundtrack as the action is happening, as in rock and roll.

This rarely works unless you have the right cartoon to do it with. In Cowboy
Bebop it was correct - but Heavy Metal the Movie wasn't exactly correct in
using rock music. You'd have to be careful in choosing that.

I could probably name only a few films where it worked - Matrix is one of
them. Highlander too. "Princes of the Universe" by Queen for the TV series
opening makes it doubly exciting.

> 4.) get away from the sentai characters, and go for american style
characterizations,
> involving dialogue and reversals that are not so theatric.

As if the Americans don't do this themselves. I've seen Farscape - it still
has stereotyped characters there. Although I like the series because of its
snappy wit and character interactions.

> 5.) gritty, realistic action -- as realistic as it can get anyway.

Whoa - not so fast. Mecha combat is fantastic as much as jumping into an
X-Wing.

Even mecha design isn't exactly realistic as it gets - GP-02 with shoulder
binders anyone? What matters is if it looks good... ^_^

Imagine if all those cars didn't explode in movies - it wouldn't be as
exciting... Good storytelling and a good time over realism anyday. It just
doesn't look as good as it should if you do it that way...

> 6.) "western" editing style, cut to cuts, etc. not the panning or the
insertion
> of a screaming face stuff. explosions, explosions, explosions with people
jumping
> slow motion out of the way....

yup, yup, yup...

But if it were something like Robot Jox - ugh... -_-;

> basically, I don't like the dragging pace that gundam is sometimes
notorious
> for. Also, I'd like american humor in it...one can only take so much of
teenagers
> walking into naked females.

hehe... but even then - it wouldn't be Gundam if it didn't have that. ^_^

Fed