Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Mon, 29 May 2000 23:17:20 MST

>Gundam villains features many archetype during its long history. I'll
>offer
>some analysis of some of the characters from Gundam, 0080, 0083, Zeta, ZZ,
>F91, Victory, Wing.

SNIP

>Mobile Suit Gundam:
>
>Char Aznable: The proto-type Gundam villain. Cool, composed and
>calculating. At first, he appears to be in the mold of the archetype mask
>villain featured in many '70s shonen anime. But as his motive and history
>is flushed out, the character went on to become his own archetype. He is
>not necessary in disagreement with the ultimate goal of Giren Zabi, who is
>simply creating a more extreme version of Zeon Zum Daikun's teaching. He
>is
>convinced of Zabi complicity in his father's death, and is quite patient on
>carrying out his vengeance. There is an old Chinese saying "Ten years is
>not too long for the gentleman's revenge", and Char's patient seemed to
>embodied it.

SNIP

>Wing:
>Zechs Merquise: definately a Char clone, all the way to the "we must
>destroy
>Earth to save it" mentality at the end.

One of the things that perpetually annoys me when I'm watching Gundam Wing,
is how much and how often Zechs reminds me of Char. I wish they could have
made Zechs more of a unique and independent character, and I think it is to
the Wing series' detriment that they did not. I'm sure some Wing fans will
say the similarities are just superficial, but I think the run quite a bit
deeper than that.

For instance:

1
Char Aznable is not his real name, in fact, he is Casval Rem Daikun
Zechs Merquise is not his real name, in fact, he is Millardo Peacecraft

2
In the beginning Char wears a mask to hide his true identity from his
comrades.
In the beginning Zechs wears a mask to hide his true identity from his
comrades.

3
Char is known as the "Red Comet" for his exploits in battle.
Zechs is known as the "Lightning Baron" for his exploits in battle.

4
In addition to fighting for the Zeon Archduchy, Char is eliminating the
members of the Zabi family whom he holds responsible for his fatherís death.
In addition to fighting for Oz, Zechs is eliminating members of the Earth
Sphere Alliance military whom he holds responsible for his familyís death.

5
While he was originally introduced as a bad guy, on occasion, Char has
fought alongside the heroes (in Z Gundam).
While he was originally introduced as a bad guy, on occasion, Zechs fights
alongside the heroes.

6
Char was head of an antigovernment resistance movement (the AEUG).
Zechs was the leader of an antigovernment resistance movement (White Fang).

7
Char seems to have a personal grudge against Gundam pilot Amuro Ray.
Zechs seems to have a personal grudge against Gundam pilot Heero Yuy.

8
Char provides Amuro Ray with psyco-frame technology so they can fight it out
(in Charís Counterattack).
Zechs provides Heero Yuy with the restored Wing Gundam so they can fight it
out.

9
Eventually, Char decides that the space colonies can never be truly
independent unless there are no humans left on earth.
Eventually, Zechs decides that the space colonies can never be truly
independent unless there are no humans left on earth.

10
In the end, Char tries to make sure there will be no humans left on earth by
dropping the massive mobile asteroid Axis on it (in Charís Counterattack).
In the end, Zechs tries to make sure there will be no humans left on earth
by dropping the massive space fortress Libra on it.

It's much more than skin deep!