Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Mon, 29 May 2000 11:30:04 -0600 (MDT)

Well I can tell you a few things. First some history:
Optimus Prime was named "Convoy" in Japan (hence in all the subsequent
series that the US never got, there was Star Convoy, LioConvoy, etc).
Why was he named Convoy? His toy came from the Diaclone line of toys where
it was known as "Battle Convoy". This would have been the mid to late
seventies, as I recall. So at least for the toy (which is reasonably
similar to his cartoon appearance), it probably predated Gundam, or at
least was parallel developed. Remeber, the first two years of toys in the
Transformers line were all taken from various Japanese toy lines
(Diaclone, Microman, Takotokou in the case of Jetfire), given an Auotobot
or Decepticon logo (or rubsigns) and their firing weaponry was usually
crippled because we can't have poor little american kids shooting their
eyes out.

Thinking about Op Prime's head, there are a few distinctive features that
people recognize:
1) The two antennae on either side of his head. Some artists drew this as
only a single antennae on each side.
2) The smooth, flat face plate
3) The pentagonal shaped grill structure on his forehead

The RX-78-2's defining characteristics are:
1) The V-Fin (which does have a pentagonal shape joining the two sides)
2) a face plate with grooves in it, as well as a red chin
3) vents on the side of the "Face"

Other than the face plate (which really only brings to mind Zeta Gundam),
I can't really see a significant resemblence. That bit of art you linked
isn't a terribly good example of Prime either, his general head shape
there is "wrong" in that you won't see it draw like that very often.
Rather than being that rounded, its usualyl got sharped and more defined
edges with its components visible as seperate entities (ie you can see the
antennae and the face plate rather than all the details blurred together).

I'd really chalk this one up to coincidence. There are only so many ways
you can draw a robot head with a face plate.

On an unrelated note, I saw a kitbash of a 1/144 GW Heavyarms into Optimus
Prime. Quite well done, actually, and HA's opening chest chainguns were
replaced with a visible matrix of leadership. Rather impressive.

----
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler