Scott DiBerardino (scottd@javanet.com)
Mon, 29 May 2000 12:57:45 -0400

> Chris Maier asks,
>
>> Where do they fit into the timeline, if at all? They raise many questions,
>> such as, were there mass-produced versions of ZZ, Nu, and Psycho Gundams,
>> what
>> are the four RX-78s, and what the heck is an RX-81, anyway?

Mark Simmons:

> These are original designs created by Kunio Okawara for the SD Club
> magazine, circa 1990. (Yes, they were originally created just to fuel the SD
> Gundam franchise.) They were reprinted in Entertainment Bible 25, and
> subsequently wormed their way into the MS Encyclopedia, where - to
> paraphrase Sutter Cane - they've contaminated time itself with their evil.
>
> Some of these - like the MS-04, MS-06R-3S, and RX-81 - are visualizations
> of mobile suits that were described, but never illustrated, in the MSV
> books. (In every case, though, they're pretty sucky interpretations.) Others
> are just bogus filler, like mass-produced and full-armor versions of damn
> near every Gundam in existence.

I always had the impression that many of those designs were just that in the
UC timeline as well, designs on the board that never got very far, certainly
never built. At least, that was the explanation for RX-78-4 thru 7, wasn't
it? I haven't looked at those in a long time... I thought some of them were
kinda cool, particularly the Zeta era ones (mmm... Full Armor Improved
'Shiki...)

I should go back to that EB again now that my Japanese is much better.

--
-scott   \\   sdiberar@student.umass.edu