Chris Maier (oom9@crosswinds.net)
Mon, 29 May 2000 12:51:23 -0400

I'm curious about the resemblance of head "Transformer" character Optimus Prime to the design of the Gundam. We all know that Gundam came first, so I'm wondering, was the designer of Prime inspired by the Gundam in anyway? Or was Optimus Prime actually designed by Kunio Okinawara? I'm wondering if anybody really knows if there is some kind of connection between the two in terms of design. You have to admit, the first time somebody sees a Gundam, especially the first one, the first thing to pop in their mind is probably Optimus Prime.

Also, this Optimus Prime picture looks a lot like Kunio's line art for the Gundam(As posted in the mecha domain)

http://members.tripod.com/~Optimus_2/optprime.gif

Chris