Rodrick Su (rsu@tigana.com)
Sun, 28 May 2000 22:45:45 -0700

Not when you consider how many nukes were used in Char's Counterattack.
Cameron Bloom slipped a boat load of nukes in Bright Noah's hand because he
rightly didn't trust Char's intention. Char also stole a whole bunch of
nukes from Luna 2.

> >>1: The Federation doesn't have nuclear weapons powerful enough
> to break
> up a
> >>40km long colony.
> >
> > Given the power of the Mk. 82 that Gato used on the Review, one
> >won't be possible to destroy the colony. Maybe a few is needed. But why
> >destroy the colony? Use a few to nudge the colony off course.
>
> The Mk.82 is a TACTICAL nuclear weapon. Compare that to the STRATEGIC
> nuclear weapon that Killing intended to use against Side 6, which
> looked a
> lot more like a contemporary ICBM. The Mk.82 is intended for use on a
> battlefield against ships and MS, which it did quite neatly. A
> missile of
> the type that Killing carried would've probably taken
> Solomon/Konpei Island
> out altogether.

Hum... Solomon is a big piece of rock. Even modern day nukes will be hard
press to put a dent in a big rock. Now, a hollowed cylander like a colony,
no problem at all. As you were found of saying, the big problem with a
colony drop is not the "land" and "glass" piece, but the endpiece, which is
likely the only piece that can withstand re-entry to cause serious damage.
Stragetic nukes should be able to handle that.

> Whatever you use, deflecting the colony has to be your goal. Breaking it
> into pieces without changing their trajectory and orbital velocity will
> only result in lots of small pieces rather than one big one. Yes, you
> might be able to blast it into such small pieces that they all
> burned up in
> the atmosphere, but the odds are that you'd still end up with dozens of
> pieces large enough to do major damage.

Yeah, instead of getting everything to hit it in one location, you now have
2 end piece hitting different location.

[ Rodrick Su [ ]