-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Sun, 28 May 2000 13:45:38 -0700

At 09:35 5/28/2000, you wrote:
>At 17:14 05/27/2000 MST, Blackeagle wrote:
>>We've been talking about colony drops here, and it brings up a question
I've
>>had for a while. In 0083, why didn't the Federation use a nuke to blow up
>>the falling colony rather than trying the cumbersome and vunerable Solar
>>System?
>
> Possible reasons: No reliable delivery systems. After all, the GP02A
>is already destroyed. Will there be sufficient missiles, etc. in the right
>positions to launch enough not only to get through the screening MSes as
>well as to destroy the colony?
>
> Politics: Maybe the proto-Titans don't even want the colony to stop.
>They have to make an attempt, of course, but the end effect of the Delaz
>colony is a dramatic increase of the Titans' powers.

Maybe the just didn't have that many nuclear weapons left, having expended
most of them during the first week of the One Year War and being loathe to
build that particular part of the arsenal back up thereafter.

>>1: The Federation doesn't have nuclear weapons powerful enough to break
up a
>>40km long colony.
>
> Given the power of the Mk. 82 that Gato used on the Review, one
>won't be possible to destroy the colony. Maybe a few is needed. But why
>destroy the colony? Use a few to nudge the colony off course.

The Mk.82 is a TACTICAL nuclear weapon. Compare that to the STRATEGIC
nuclear weapon that Killing intended to use against Side 6, which looked a
lot more like a contemporary ICBM. The Mk.82 is intended for use on a
battlefield against ships and MS, which it did quite neatly. A missile of
the type that Killing carried would've probably taken Solomon/Konpei Island
out altogether.

Whatever you use, deflecting the colony has to be your goal. Breaking it
into pieces without changing their trajectory and orbital velocity will
only result in lots of small pieces rather than one big one. Yes, you
might be able to blast it into such small pieces that they all burned up in
the atmosphere, but the odds are that you'd still end up with dozens of
pieces large enough to do major damage.

-Z-