Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Mon, 29 May 2000 00:35:01 +0800

At 11:28 05/27/2000 MST, Blackeagle wrote:
>I don't think the depth would prevent you form laying passive sensors on the
>bottom.

        Pressure, that's the main problem for sensors. Plus, the lower you
go, the more thermal layers there are likely to be. The intervening thermal
layers can really screw with the sensors, hence hiding submarines and MSes
from detection.

>If you think about it, if the colony missed the atmosphere, it's trajectory
>would end up looking an awful lot like the gravity assist manuvers used on
>interplanetary voyages. I wonder if it would give enough of a boost to
>allow the colony to escape earth's gravity and send it into a solar orbit?

        I have no idea about the physics of this. Maybe someone else can help?