core@gundam.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 19:31:41 -0400 (EDT)

Lim Jyue wrote:
> >There we go, so given a 6.4km diameter by 32km long containing mostly air,
> >a 500km crater is totally out of whack.
> Even if I did remember wrongly, the figure will need to be 20x to
> make a 500km crater, at least. And this figure is for craters on the moon,
> without an atmosphere to slow the object down.

Wow, wow, wow hang on a sec there. Crater size on the Moon would be very
different from crater size on Earth. And it's not the atmospheric effect.
If I am not totally stupid, the crater size depends on impact energy,
which depends on the mass and radius of the planet/moon. So if you 10x
wide, 1.5x deep figures come from the Moon it won't work for colony drop
onto _Earth_. Since Earth's surface gravity is 6x Moon's... we have...
doh! Don't think I can work it on in my head...

What's Earth's and Moon's escape velocity again?

Name: Core
Patient ID: #1
Condition: Critical