Fri, 26 May 2000 10:31:34 -0400

James Boren wrote:

> This is a series of questions, theories about the early UC years.
>
> How did a unified world government (the federation) form? Was it a
> decendant of the U.N., WTO, or another modern world body? Massive
> overpopulation is the stated reason the world got together. In
> reality free trade (greed) will probably bring about a world
> government more than any social reason. (If such a thing could ever
> happen at all!?)

I dunno, there is a trend in science fiction (ST, B5, etc), to have the
UN fail at some point in history and have a new world oganization, in
this case the Federation, arise at some later time.

> So the first colonies go up. I'm sure the first colonies were filled
> with people who wanted to go, -for the whole adventure, start a new
> life- kind of thing. I few govn't incentives could entice the next
> batch of colonists to leave earth. Free housing, tax breaks, jobs,
> etc. So now the first sides are all filled with generally happy,
> contented colonists.
>
> Now the Feds have to get tough, everyone who's wanted to leave has
> already gone, so these new colonies are all going to be filled with
> deportees. And since they had their chance to leave for the nice
> colonies, let's put them in these new closed cylinder colonies where
> we can stuff more people in. So side 3 is filled with angry people,
> packed closer together, and furthest from earth. No wonder it was
> such a powder keg. And also why they would have such little love for
> the other colonies.

Actually, we recently debated this in my Gundam gaming group. I actually
initially advocated something similar to your theory, with the first
intrepid colonists providing the basis for the Germanic, Zabi, etc elite
in Side 3. However, it appears that the colonies were populated by
lower-class people evicted from Earth even from the outset, which should
provide for a more third-world flavor to the colonies. However, IMO, some
Europeans and others also emigrated to the colonies to take advantage of
the new business opportunities, laying the groundwork for our future
elites. Simply my attempt to explain the demographics of Side 3.

    Neil