Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Thu, 25 May 2000 03:49:41 +0800

At 20:21 05/23/2000 -0400, core@gundam.com wrote:
>Can't comment on the 500km crater size, but the problem of crater size as
>a function of the dropped body has been solved. For example, you can look
>at a crater on the Moon or Mars or Earth and give a very good estimate of
>the meteorite. So given the approximate mass of a colony, the crater size
>should be known. Is there a planetary astronomer in the house?

        Rule of thumb from my astronomy course -- the size of the crater is
10x that of the object's diameter, and the depth 1.5-2x. That means the
impacting object of a 500km object is about 50km in diameter, and will cause
a 75km deep crater -- won't that let the magma out?

        Can't tell how the shape of a colony will affect this though..