core@gundam.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 20:52:39 -0400 (EDT)

Blackeagle wrote:
> But look at series like 0080 or the 08th MS Team. They share many technical
> and historical characteristics with the original series, but very little of
> the philosophical underpinnings (aside from "War is a bad thing").

Actually I disagree. both 0080 and 08MST really captured some important
aspect of the Tomino philosophy (ok I can't claim to know what the Tomino
philosophy is, but bare with me). That's why I have no problem with
08MST's busting OYW history big time. Tell you what, when I watch anime,
my mind isn't on timelines or mecha designs or hardcore history stuffs
like that. Take episode 1 of 08MST for example, as I was watching I was
cheering for the Ball (finally!) and sucking it up when Shiroh and Aina
put their guns down. I especially like that part, because it echoes the
times when after a lonewolf skirmish, Amuro stopped and comforted a dying
Zeon soldier and when the mother-son refugees helped the Zeon pilots who
had eariler helped them. To me that kind of touchy feely stuffs is very
important.

It didn't register in my head at all that a team of GM Space type
shouldn't be fighting actual battles _BEFORE_ Garma's funeral. I was
actually sucking it up (again) that they made a reference to Garma's
funeral. It's only long after I finished 08MST that I found out that
Gundam Ground Types opened a huge rift in the Gundam space-time continuum.

> I don't care. Whatever it is, I'll watch it on it's own merits and decide
> if I like it or not. Continuity with previous Gundam series, in facts
> and/or philosophy is a plus, but it is not the dominant factor.

I agree! But liking or not is not the same question as sorting them into
single vs. multiple timelines. I happen to like both 08MST and V a lot.
08MST fits well with 0079, that's fine. V doesn't even try to fit in with
0079, it just arbituary stick 30 years into the calendar and start right
over. I just propose that we do what Bandai/Sunrise didn't know they
could do at the time: disassociate F91-V from the UC.

Likewise, I like (to a small extent) both Z/ZZ and CCA as sequels to 0079,
but these are two non-compatible sequels!

Name: Core
Patient ID: #1
Condition: Critical