Freedom045@aol.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 20:01:13 EDT

In a message dated Tue, 23 May 2000 6:57:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, BlazeEagle@aol.com writes:

<< Oh, Yeah Direct to video is a way to gauge the "success" of UC in the US! Jeez! :) I don't mean to sound rude, but the Three 0079 Movies, 0080 and 0083
that are in English, is by no means any way to prove the success or the lack of success of UC stuff in the US. Tons more that have never seen Gundam saw Wing then 0079,0080 and 0083 did. Wing is on cable, not to mention that its a 49 episode TV series. An UC TV series needs to be shown on Cartoon Network with good promotion before one can find out how well UC will do in the US. The UC 3 movies and two OVA's, have not had the exposure that Wing has had.
CN should show 0083 as a special event or something. I pick 0083 not out of personal bias, but because it's animation quality is still very comparable to
today's animation and it has plenty of action while still being a UC OVA/series. I don't see 0080 being shown on CN anytime soon :), Do you? 0080 seems a bit too mature for CN, 0080 would work fine on a channel like Sci-fi for instance.

  Putting a UC series on TV would without a doubt be risky, especially if its not translated well. Putting a UC series on TV has to be, for lack of a better phrase, put on US TV with tender loving care, as the US market can be fickle, especially if a UC series gets to be seen, wrongly, as just a kiddy show. Its going to take special care to make sure a UC series on CN is
perceived and handled the right way. GW isn't as harsh as a lot of UC series are. GW is aimed at a different/wider audience then UC series are aimed at.
The UC series are more mature and realistic then GW. A UC series on CN has the potential to do very well, if Bandai and the rest handle it the correct way and not mangle it.

Aaron >>

I totally agree. The point I was trying to make is that a television broadcast is the only way UC Gundam will be a hit in the US.

It would seem easier from a business standpoint to go with a series like G or X before they would go with something as outdated as the original Gundam. And you can't have UC Gundam without starting from the beginning.

By UC Gundam, I am really not counting F-91 or VICTORY GUNDAM, because those stories don't really require the background of the Earth-Zeon conflict. I suppose you could show V, does anything think that would work? and then backtrack to the original in some way?

I don't think the original 43-episode series would be successful on American TV, even on the Cartoon Network. As much as I love the original Gundam, its animation did not age well. ZETA, on the other hand, looks just as good as most stuff out today. Of course, you couldn't show ZETA without showing the original in some form.

I do wish they would just have Katoki or Izubuchi just ret-con every single mobile suit/mobile armor and reanimate the original series as new movies or OVA's. I'd like to see someone tell me that that would not make big bucks for Bandai.

Has Tomino ever been approached or asked about that? or is he pretty cold to the idea?

Tom