BlazeEagle@aol.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 18:55:52 EDT

In a message dated 5/23/00 11:25:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Freedom045@aol.com writes:

<< I was talking with a friend who I used to work with at a comics/sci-fi
merchandise store and I asked him how Gundam was doing and he said the
non-Wing stuff was not selling that great. The Wing stuff is where the money
will be. I can't fault Bandai if they decide to go with non-UC stuff. Its a
business decision, and they did give the UC stuff a chance. However, video
sales are not going to be enough, television is where the money is at and
that is where their efforts will most certainly be focused. >>

  Oh, Yeah Direct to video is a way to gauge the "success" of UC in the US!
Jeez! :) I don't mean to sound rude, but the Three 0079 Movies, 0080 and 0083
that are in English, is by no means any way to prove the success or the lack
of success of UC stuff in the US. Tons more that have never seen Gundam saw
Wing then 0079,0080 and 0083 did. Wing is on cable, not to mention that its a
49 episode TV series. An UC TV series needs to be shown on Cartoon Network
with good promotion before one can find out how well UC will do in the US.
The UC 3 movies and two OVA's, have not had the exposure that Wing has had.
CN should show 0083 as a special event or something. I pick 0083 not out of
personal bias, but because it's animation quality is still very comparable to
today's animation and it has plenty of action while still being a UC
OVA/series. I don't see 0080 being shown on CN anytime soon :), Do you? 0080
seems a bit too mature for CN, 0080 would work fine on a channel like Sci-fi
for instance.

  Putting a UC series on TV would without a doubt be risky, especially if its
not translated well. Putting a UC series on TV has to be, for lack of a
better phrase, put on US TV with tender loving care, as the US market can be
fickle, especially if a UC series gets to be seen, wrongly, as just a kiddy
show. Its going to take special care to make sure a UC series on CN is
perceived and handled the right way. GW isn't as harsh as a lot of UC series
are. GW is aimed at a different/wider audience then UC series are aimed at.
The UC series are more mature and realistic then GW. A UC series on CN has
the potential to do very well, if Bandai and the rest handle it the correct
way and not mangle it.

Aaron