Freedom045@aol.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 11:23:52 EDT

In a message dated Mon, 22 May 2000 11:19:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, James Boren <jboren@earthlink.net> writes:

<< I'm not looking for Gundam to be the next pokemon but gundam's popularity in america does affect me being about to see and read english translated gundam works. I don't know about anyone else on this list but I loved Kondo's 0079 comic and animevillage stalling on 08th MS team doesn't bode well.

-James
(Sorry, I don't mean to be paranoid) >>

James,

You mentioned that Viz has put the GUNDAM 0079 comic on "hiatus". How many issues did they get up to? I just started reading them after being out of anime for a while and I was enthralled.

I was talking with a friend who I used to work with at a comics/sci-fi merchandise store and I asked him how Gundam was doing and he said the non-Wing stuff was not selling that great. The Wing stuff is where the money will be. I can't fault Bandai if they decide to go with non-UC stuff. Its a business decision, and they did give the UC stuff a chance. However, video sales are not going to be enough, television is where the money is at and that is where their efforts will most certainly be focused.

If ZETA GUNDAM never makes it over here, I will be sad, but at least I have my two laserdisc box sets.

Tom