Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Mon, 22 May 2000 23:05:28 MST

SNIP

>Take another example: both 08MST and V mention something that doesn't make
>sense: regular mass produced fighting machine could go nuclear if it's
>blown up. But 08MST only mentioned it in passing and in fact the story is
>untouched if the offensive lines were edited out. But in V, MS going
>nuclear is a key fact in most battles and figured in many important
>developments. To put V after 0079/Z/ZZ/CCA would mean that the engineers
>consciously downgraded the stability of their MS.

I'd just note that this concept originally introduced (though not really
explained) in F91.

>But that's not really the point. The point is the nature of the conflict,
>the philosophy of the show, and how much the events of the purported
>sequels was informed by the earlier series.
>
>Taking V (and F91) again, apart from Newtypes, Minovsky physics, the white
>guy with the V-fin and the meaningless labels of UC0123/0153, what aspect
>of the show would one attribute to 0079, Z, ZZ and CCA? Sure you may say
>Newtype and Minovsky physics are pretty important stuffs, but these two
>concepts also showed up singly or jointly in G, W, and X, so what's so
>special about F91/V that they belong in UC? The most direct historical
>reference is a Zaku in the MS museum, but that could easily have been a
>statue of Virgin Mary. The characters in F91 and V talked about the
>original "white guy" Gundam as a legendary symbol rather than part of
>recent history (it's only 30 years, for Christ's sake! In real life
>people restore 70 years old plane to dust crops). Most important, all of
>the political debates between the main characters centers around kids vs.
>adult, overpopulation, elitism, and patriarchy vs matriarchy.
>
>In the main UC lines, the main conflict is about space vs. Earth as the
>_right_ setting for the _Human_Destiny_.

But look at series like 0080 or the 08th MS Team. They share many technical
and historical characteristics with the original series, but very little of
the philosophical underpinnings (aside from "War is a bad thing").

Bottom line, this debate is like debating what is and isn't science fiction.
  I don't care. Whatever it is, I'll watch it on it's own merits and decide
if I like it or not. Continuity with previous Gundam series, in facts
and/or philosophy is a plus, but it is not the dominant factor.

> > Oh no, it's Fermat's Last Gundam Theorem! <grin>
>
>Ahem, excuse me, I have many more wacky theorems up my sleeves yet ;)

Aaaack! We're all DOOOOOOOOMED!