BlazeEagle@aol.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 00:12:09 EDT

In a message dated 5/22/00 11:42:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
m.t.powers@mindspring.com writes:

<< That's because American animation isn't intended for the same audience as
 Japanese animation. American animation is overwhelmingly considered to be
 kids' entertainment; whereas while Japanese animation _does_ have a large
 number of kids' shows, they're not all or even _most_ of the animation
 produced in Japan. Comparing Japanese animation to nothing _but_ American
 animation isn't correct. Instead, compare Japanese animation to _all_
 American television and movie entertainment, as that's taking into account
 the fact that Japanese animation has such a wider range of topics.

 I know all this. You know what, I hardly watch any American TV shows. B5 is
dead. American TV is getting boring. There's not enough variety on US TV for
me. I don't like sports, I like only less then a hand full of sit coms, Xena
and Hercules are getting old, I used to enjoy Hercules and Xena, but they are
slowly losing their originality. I know that Japanese animation is far more
then just kids shows. They have love stories, action, shogo (girls anime),
action, fantasy, almost anything you could think of, a genre of anime exists
for lots of different interests. I have been an anime fan before I even heard
of Gundam.

 The reason Gundam Wing is so popular, I think, is not necessarily due to
 any plot or thematic elements; it's because there are so few sci-fi action
 shows on these days where the emphasis is on butt-kicking,
 missile-launching, gatling-gun-firing fight scenes. That's certainly
 something I've noticed that animation has a lot more of than live-action;
 more _fights_, and the fights are more elaborate and creative. (Though
 stock-footage tends to wear the edge off of that after a while.) >>

That's probably part of it, but a lot of people that I have heard talk about
GW online also like the story and plot almost just as much the action. Robots
are often used as bad guy cannon fodder in American TV, comics, etc. Take the
Sentinels in X-Men for example :) Machines are the bad guys in the Matrix as
well. Its not often that robots are vehicles controlled by both sides in
American media. Battletech, Heavy Gear, Mekton, Jovian Chronicles, are
basically the only stuff that has mecha in it, and they are not TV series,
although Heavy Gear is supposed to have a TV series soon. From reading video
and PC gaming mags and a few comic mags once and a while, I get that
impression that any type of giant robot, be it toy or series, is drooled over
by at least one writer or editor. I just think robo mania is building in the
US among certain groups of people.

Aaron