Michael Powers (m.t.powers@mindspring.com)
Mon, 22 May 2000 23:40:47 -0400

At 11:11 PM 5/22/00 EDT, you wrote:

>I like Gundam because its anime
>and I like anime because its Japanese, NOT American, even though I was born
>an American. Most anime I've seen blows even most of the best American
'toons
>away.

That's because American animation isn't intended for the same audience as
Japanese animation. American animation is overwhelmingly considered to be
kids' entertainment; whereas while Japanese animation _does_ have a large
number of kids' shows, they're not all or even _most_ of the animation
produced in Japan. Comparing Japanese animation to nothing _but_ American
animation isn't correct. Instead, compare Japanese animation to _all_
American television and movie entertainment, as that's taking into account
the fact that Japanese animation has such a wider range of topics.

The reason Gundam Wing is so popular, I think, is not necessarily due to
any plot or thematic elements; it's because there are so few sci-fi action
shows on these days where the emphasis is on butt-kicking,
missile-launching, gatling-gun-firing fight scenes. That's certainly
something I've noticed that animation has a lot more of than live-action;
more _fights_, and the fights are more elaborate and creative. (Though
stock-footage tends to wear the edge off of that after a while.)

Mike Powers

Famous Last Words #017
 Player A:"I bet that without Mjolnir you're a real wuss."
 Player B:"He looks like a wuss to me."