Freedom045@aol.com
Mon, 22 May 2000 20:56:28 EDT

In a message dated Mon, 22 May 2000 8:39:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "L. M. Lloyd" <ubik@austin.rr.com> writes:

<< OK, aside from mech design issues, there is a very important plot issue that I don't think can just be written off as a trivial technical inconsistency. Put quite simply, if Anaheim Electronics made the GP series for the federation, then it is very hard, if not impossible, to understand why it was necessary to steal the MkII at the beginning of Zeta. Now it is easy to write this off as just quibbling over the fancy design of the GP series, but in the early episodes of Zeta quite a lot of fuss is made about the importance of
capturing the MkII. Now, I am not trying to get into a mech continuity argument here, I am saying that from a storyline point of view it poses certain problems if Anaheim Electronics has the capability to produce MS other than Rick Dias at the start of Zeta. >>

Well, you have a point. Someone really should have been a bastard about mecha continuity when they made 0083. The whole "all records were deleted" explanation doesn't work. Maybe if the GP03 had been destroyed, maybe, but even then, some lackey at Anaheim surely would have made a back-up.

I wonder if these screw-ups are intentional, so that we fan can argue incessantly over minuteia.

This is all the result of the writers not doing their jobs, or just chucking continuity out the window so they can put in really cool stuff...

I wonder if these guys know Brannon Braga?

<< The second issue is an even larger issue. At no point during the entire run of Zeta, is there any mention of the Operation Stardust colony drop, nor is there any mention of the Jion or Federation breaking the Antarctic Treaty prior to the formation of the Titans. Considering what a huge deal is made of the first colony drop, I find it hard to reconcile nobody ever mentioning a second colony drop. >>

Well, of course the colony drop was never mentioned in ZETA, because 0083 was made 6 years after ZG was broadcast.

Personally, I don't think as a plot device, the colony drop in 0083 served any purpose at all (the actual impact, mind you). Same with the colony drop in ZZ, it just really served no purpose.

Maybe the Japanese still have the "Hiroshima complex", they're obsessed with big things being dropped from the sky. (hope no one gets offended by that)

Tom