David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Sun, 21 May 2000 10:07:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 20 May 2000 17:53:29 +0100, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> >No, he probably wouldn't. I'm know I'm gonna sound controversial and
start
> >being prejudiced here, but a lot of animation fans of old stuff like
Looney
> >Tunes and Golden Age Disney movies tend not to look too kindly on anime.
>
> I'm a big fan of the old Chuck Jones & co, Tex Avery shorts [WB, MGM] but
> Disney leaves me cold.

I am to, but obviously, anime shows are the first that come to mind when I
think about them.

> To a certain extent, anime tied in more with how I felt animation should
be
> [in terms of attitude and in terms of doing things that would have been
hard
> [or at least expensive] to do any other way] and I think... I think that
> I'll shut up now...

Dreams. I think of animation as a medium for expressing dreams--whether they
take place in Heaven, space, or God's home planet, I think animation can and
SHOULD be used to go anywhere. The more recent American line of thinking is
that animation should have some basis in reality, whether they be set in the
past (Dinosaurs) or an already existing fairy tale (Disney etc), it just
doesn't jive with my line of thinking. I think anime titles have proven to
be more in line with what I think of animation as: an extension of people's
dreams and imaginations.

Jojo