Sat, 20 May 2000 17:47:27 +0800

gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> I agree that the GP03 is unlikely to be mass-produced, but what
>about limited production? As a strategic defence platform, the GP03 is
>likely to be too expensive to have more than a handful of these.
>
> As a ship-buster? The GP03D is good enough to get through a
>defensive screen of MSes, and then blow big holes in the carrier. I think
>development after the OYW is such that captial ships are steadily becoming
>obsolete. Carriers with large screens of MSes are starting to come into
>their own. IMO, GP03D will cut through these ships pretty rapidly.
>
> For example, how will the GP03D go up against the Doros class ships?

given the fact that it has 2 large beam sabers and countless weaponry, I think it can go head to head with a Doros class ship

1. they could arm all of the weapons canisteres of a production model GP03D with the 108 micromissile canisters, making it an anti-MS platform.
2. instead of the 108 micromissile canisters they could use the 3 large missile packs for anti-capital ships

---however, the designers could learn a thing or two from Axis which made the Neue Ziel.
1. I think it has got to have *more* verniers...the GP03D is good in straight line acceleration but it isn't as nimble as the Neue Ziel, which is one point against the GP03D. IMO if the GP03D had more verniers in the second battle, even if it lost its I-field barrier generator, it still would have creamed the Neue Ziel
2. make two I-field barrier generators, or at least, put them in a locaton that won't be easily damaged

> I think one of the more popular theory going around is that the GP01
>is an escort of the "bomber" GP02. It does seems logical, especially given
>the FB variant. Furthermore, the escort/point-man abilities of the original
>RX-78 series has already been proven. The GP01 seems like a evoluation of
>this idea.

agreed...one thing that bothered me was how come they didn't just outfit the GP01 into the Fb variant when the Albion went to Australia to test Unit 1 and 2? aside from Bandai making more kits, was it due to time constraints?

> A GP02 is a massive one-shot bomber, but I never liked the idea of a
>one-shot weapon, especially with UC's emphasize against nuclear weapons. It
>could have led to a B variant, armed with ship-busting bazookas and missiles
>though, so it's possible a GP02B may have eventually reached production.

hmmm...it could be...or just arm it with a huge beam bazooka with enough power to dispatch its target and have remaining power to deal with other units which would break through the GP01Fb escort

> As discussed earlier, a GP03 is not likely to be mass-produced.
>However, the proposed GP04 might have been mass-produced as a long range
>interceptor. I think AE might have ran out of money to carry on with GP04.. =)

LOL...yeah, but given the fact that having a slagged GP01 converted to a GP01Fb costs much more than an intact GP01 converted to a GP01Fb - I think that funneled more money from those allocated for the GP04 towards the GP01's direction