Eiji Hayashi (mirage_left4@hotmail.com)
Fri, 19 May 2000 21:09:33 GMT

>From: Freedom045@aol.com
>To: gundam@aeug.org
>CC: mdvannorman@earthlink.net
>Subject: [gundam] It's CHAR, not SHA!
>Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:30:47 EDT
>
>In 99% of the fan references I have seen, the main nemesis of the Gundam
>Saga is ALWAYS: CHAR Aznable
>
>Every reference I have seen come out of Japan is "CHAR". I don't know where
>they find people (who always find their way into doing the official
>translations) who insist that is must be "Sha". (Take THAT Fred Schodt!)

yup.. if he didn't bring it up.. 100% of the Gundam fandom would know it as
Char. That twit!

>I don't get it.
>
>I can understand there are always differences as to how some characters
>names come out different to different people (Bright Noah, Brite Noa), but
>in this case, I think it important that such an important character's name
>be firmly established.
>
>I don't want to pick up a copy of "Sha's Counterattack", I want "CHAR'S
>Counterattack"
>
>When you get down to it, I just simply feel that "Sha" just seems wimpy and
>lame when compared to "Char".
>
>Anyone else agree, or disagree?

I concur.. even though "Sha" is closer to the actual Japanese sound, there's
not much to be said when Bandai itself uses the initials CA to describe Char
and not SA, eg: the red Zaku in Giren's Ambition is given the prefix
MS-06S-CA.. not SA. But this is even besides the main point that Sha simply
sounds too wimpy compare to Char.. that it doesn't fit his cool and imposing
image.

Eiji