Vladimir Len (vjlen@mindspring.com)
Fri, 19 May 2000 05:33:13 -0500

> I think the fundamental problem with the American animation
> industry is that
> Americans view animation as a genre. There are several subgenres, like
> feature animation (Disney), Saturday morning cartoons and
> primetime family
> animation (Simpsons) but all of them have the "For Kids" stigma
> attached to
> them. It seems to me that in Japan animation is viewed as a medium, in
> which you can tell any kind of stories you want, without
> restriction. Thus
> Japan turns out fantasy, sci-fi, drama, comedy, kids shows and everything
> else why here in the U.S. most animation is for 8 year olds.

I've followed anime since I was 14 or so, starting with pro-tapes (that's
pre-recorded VHS tape for all you kiddies) of the Gundam movie trilogy when
they were released. Above is the same explanation I've given other for years
on what "anime" is -- and my sentiments exactly.

- Vlad (god, was that really 17 years ago?)