Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Fri, 19 May 2000 00:17:11 MST

SNIP

> >Yes most Gundam stories do punch you in the gut with the horrors of war
>(and
> >in the case of 0080, kicks you in the kidneys). So are stories like
>Saving
> >Private Ryan or David Drake's Hammer's Slammers books, some of us like
>that
> >sort of thing.
>
>Aye, they are good stories, but sometimes gundam forgets that a person can
>only
>take so much...Private ryan was a movie, but to have three movies or a
>whole
>series? there should be some "melancholic redemptive" pieces to give the
>audience
>a break every now and then...

Well, I haven't seen the original series, but my impression is that a lot of
these type of breaks in action were edited out to make the movies.

>Case in point: The house scenes in 0080 are a nice counterpoint...AND make
>the conclusion even more horrifying.

Yeah. On a somewhat different scale, the character stuff early in teh 08th
MS team really pays off in the last 3-4 eps.

> >I have to vehemently dissagree that GW is on the right track. As far as
> >"good side" and "bad side," one of the things I find appealing about
>Gundam
> >is that the nominal "good guys" aren't usually that good, they're just
>the
> >lesser of two evils.
>
>Funny part about Gundam: good and evil are arbitrary to a certain extent.
>That's why I like it. It all depends on teh conduct or morality of the
>individual...which,
>sad to say, is a bit too much like the real world. Maybe that's why Gundam
>can be a bit to unbearable at times.

I'm a sucker for these shades of gray type stories. That's part of the
reason I like Babylon 5 better than Star Trek.

> >The problem I see here is that MS inherently aren't that destructive.
>Sure
>
> >you can mount a highly destructive weapon on one (nuke, massive beam
>rifle,
>
> >nerve gas, etc.) but it's the weapon, not the MS, that deals out the real
>
> >death and destruction.
>
>Hmmm. Interesting point there. but it would be great to have a scene
>where
>kids are in a museum looking at replicas of the nastiest MS, and being
>given
>a lecture on the damage these MS did.

Does the Zeta series ever say what finally happened to the 30 Bunch colony?
After the downfall of the Titans it seems like that would be a better place
for a museum/memorial.

> >Part of the problem is that I don't belive in the "War to End All Wars."
>It
>
> >is a nice, optimistic concept, but thousands of years of human history
> >proove otherwise. The only real end to war will be if humanity destroys
> >itself.
>
>How very true. Humanity requires competition amongst its own to evolve,
>for
>some reason. Even though we could conceivably evolve through group
>homogeneity,
>it seems that humans have a hardwired need to compete.

Yup.

> >Sounds like Brainpowered to me. There a bit more subtle about the self
> >aware mecha than you seem to want to be, but it's there.
> >>Aaron
>
>Is it any good to watch? I'm currently tripping out on Gasaraki and
>Nadesico.

It's pretty good. It definitely has all the hallmarks of a Tomino series
(lots of similarities to Gundam). The animation quality isn't that great,
but I like the mecha designs. I find the characters pretty interesting too.
  Not up there with Gundam, but I think it's worth my cash.