Salamangka (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Fri, 19 May 2000 22:52:32 GMT

>I definitely wouldn't say that GW is more mature than other gundam stories.

>This has nothing to do with how depressing it is, but more to do with the

>over the top superheroic antics of the Gundam pilots.

GW seems to be a hyperkinetic version of the OYW, with better looking mecha
and five, rather than one, angsty teenager. It fits the current market to a
"T", so it should be a good thing, marketing wise, as compared to showing OYW
now. Other than that, well, it's basically OYW.

>Yes most Gundam stories do punch you in the gut with the horrors of war (and

>in the case of 0080, kicks you in the kidneys). So are stories like Saving

>Private Ryan or David Drake's Hammer's Slammers books, some of us like that

>sort of thing.

Aye, they are good stories, but sometimes gundam forgets that a person can only
take so much...Private ryan was a movie, but to have three movies or a whole
series? there should be some "melancholic redemptive" pieces to give the audience
a break every now and then...

Case in point: The house scenes in 0080 are a nice counterpoint...AND make
the conclusion even more horrifying.

>I have to vehemently dissagree that GW is on the right track. As far as
>"good side" and "bad side," one of the things I find appealing about Gundam

>is that the nominal "good guys" aren't usually that good, they're just the

>lesser of two evils.

Funny part about Gundam: good and evil are arbitrary to a certain extent.
That's why I like it. It all depends on teh conduct or morality of the individual...which,
sad to say, is a bit too much like the real world. Maybe that's why Gundam
can be a bit to unbearable at times.

>The problem I see here is that MS inherently aren't that destructive. Sure

>you can mount a highly destructive weapon on one (nuke, massive beam rifle,

>nerve gas, etc.) but it's the weapon, not the MS, that deals out the real

>death and destruction.

Hmmm. Interesting point there. but it would be great to have a scene where
kids are in a museum looking at replicas of the nastiest MS, and being given
a lecture on the damage these MS did.

>Part of the problem is that I don't belive in the "War to End All Wars." It

>is a nice, optimistic concept, but thousands of years of human history
>proove otherwise. The only real end to war will be if humanity destroys
>itself.

How very true. Humanity requires competition amongst its own to evolve, for
some reason. Even though we could conceivably evolve through group homogeneity,
it seems that humans have a hardwired need to compete.

>Sounds like Brainpowered to me. There a bit more subtle about the self
>aware mecha than you seem to want to be, but it's there.
>>Aaron

Is it any good to watch? I'm currently tripping out on Gasaraki and Nadesico.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter
ICQ#12914919