Salamangka (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Fri, 19 May 2000 22:10:14 GMT

>I'll give you that with the older classic Disney movies. The ones from the
last
>15 years are just average. And I disagree about the animation quality. Not
in
>the amount of animation, but the style. Using Ghost In The Shell as an example,

>watch the way the people in that movie walk, run, shoot, turn their heads,
etc.
>Looks like people. Now, watch a movie like Tarzan or Prince Of Egypt. You
can
>argue that "it's a style" but they're still not natural movements for the people.

>We all know what people look like when they walk and talk. It's the reason
that
>cg people are so hard to pull off - we have the most experience with seeing
them
>and know immediately when something doesn't feel right. GITS felt right, the

>whole time.

Hmmm..I hadn't thought of that technical aspect, but you're right. The movements
in GITS are very fluid.

Good Question: Is it because some animation companies rely too much on Computer
graphics? I mean, is there some sort of healthy combination of computer and
actual art for this?

>And so what if it's hard to understand. You want a story spoonfed to you?
 You
>want everyone to direct and tell stories like Spielberg does all the time?
 Those
>kinds of stories are insulting. Absolutely everything must be explained, no
loose
>ends, etc., just because audiences here are trained to not think during movies.

It's the one thing I loved in some movies, that one has to work it out for himself
how things go...

>Well, timing and pacing from old WB and MGM shorts is second to none. Honestly,

>to have guys like Tex Avery and Chuck Jones knowing down to the *frame* whether
>gag would work or not, having to pace a story to fit into less than 7 minutes

>(Coal Black And De Sebben Dwarves is a masterpiece) and having it work all
the
>time, that's nuts. I wish I had that talent.
>Alfred.

Yeah, that's a rare talent. It's like watching the Marx Brothers at work.
Damn if they don't have an instinct for it. Or people like buster Keaton.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter
ICQ#12914919