Salamangka (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Fri, 19 May 2000 22:03:50 GMT

> Ghost In The
>> Shell had amazing visuals and design, but it lacked a coherent story and

>the
>> animation was still not to par with Disney or Warners..
>The plot itself was simple, but the dialogue and script needed polishing.
>Much of the political hoohah should be cut out and more focus should have
>been put on the emotional dimension. Having Kusanagi wandering around
>looking like she wants to find a "soul" was pretty sad...they needed to play

>that up more. Not sentimental like Data on Star Trek:TNG, but should be
>almost sad in a cold way...

It could have used better pacing in some sequences...or is it better editing?
 I dunno...the flow was not very good.

>think OVAs vary from decent to great, and probably the
>> best shows from the past 10 years have been Macross Plus (ova),
>Escaflowne(just
>> cant stand the NOSES!!)
>I think they make them more ugly, which is good for anime. Sometimes they
>doth look too cute.

Escaflowne was a triumph of good storytelling, but admittedly, it only got interesting
after a few episodes. Another good one in my mind is Nadesico...but that's
mainly because of all the anime refrences to other shows in it. it's an otaku's
dream and nightmare to find out where what reference comes from. El-Hazard
was also a very good OVA. the series sucks compared to the original OVA, IMHO,
but damn, what a story.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter