Alfred Urrutia (ledzep@d2.com)
Thu, 18 May 2000 22:38:31 -0700

KurenaiJiku wrote:

> I'll tell you why. Because they have one person drawing just one foot for
> a character. Each person is required to draw a particular part of the
> body; not many people at Disney draw an entire character through out the
> film. Alfred should be able to tell you something about that. They do

I'm no expert but I can tell you that on Dinosaur we had guys who animated tails
and toes. Is that the most worthless way to make a living? See that sequence,
all those dinos walking along the sand? That tail there, that's my handiwork.
Christ.

> have a larger budget, more people, and also put more stuff in so it becomes
> more consistent in the animation. Japanese animators believe (and this is
> true) that some places shouldn't require that much animation. Like talking
> sequences. Take for example, Anastasia...jeez...even when they're talking
> they HAVE to walk around, and use all sorts of body movements. Sure this
> makes it easier to convey emotions, but it also produces a counter

I had an argument with one of the dinosaur animators about just that. I was
complaining about how stupid it was to rework the iguanadons' heads so that they
looked like horses and had lips. He told me that it would be harder to animate
speech without lips. So what, I said, you want it all the be handed to you, you
want the easiest possible job, you don't want to be challenged during your whole
multi-year stint dealing with the same crap over and over? Sure it's hard. It's
harder to ski black diamonds than it is green runs, too. But it's more fun.

> characters again. I don't know about you, but if I watched Mononoke Hime
> and Mulan one after the other...I would have a greater mental attachment to
> San more than Mulan.

I have a greater attachment to Daffy Duck than most modern U.S. feature
animation. He had emotion in one eyeroll that they can't pull off now.

Alfred.