Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Thu, 18 May 2000 22:31:54 MST

SNIP

>Disney's Gargoyles is a good example of what Disney can make and Disney
>could
>blow it away easily. I story can be mature, without a sad story and ending.
>Mature doesn't have to mean depressing and sad. I liked 0079 (the movies),
>but it was a bit too depressing. Yes, I understand what Gundam is supposed
>canvay, but I like GW more, as its mature, somewhat depressing, but not to
>the point of clawing out of the pit of how horrible a war is.

I definitely wouldn't say that GW is more mature than other gundam stories.
This has nothing to do with how depressing it is, but more to do with the
over the top superheroic antics of the Gundam pilots.

>GW's ending was a bit sad, but not totally suck the life out of you type of
>ending. It took me a while to get over 0079's ending. 0079 drives the
>horror's of war home and keeps going :) 0080 showed how pointless fighting
>can truly be, boy what I said ending, but I got its points.

Yes most Gundam stories do punch you in the gut with the horrors of war (and
in the case of 0080, kicks you in the kidneys). So are stories like Saving
Private Ryan or David Drake's Hammer's Slammers books, some of us like that
sort of thing.

>Isn't it time to have a more promising out look on fighting in a Gundam
>series? How about a Gundam show that shows how humanity out grew wars and
>fighting? GW is on the right track, but isn't exactly what I want. Instead
>of
>ridding humanity of all Mobile suits, while not make the "good side" hero
>and
>"bad side" hero fight a battle to end all battles in Mobile Suits the
>embody
>the good reasons for fighting and the bad ones for fighting. A totally good
>MS and a totally bad MS.

I have to vehemently dissagree that GW is on the right track. As far as
"good side" and "bad side," one of the things I find appealing about Gundam
is that the nominal "good guys" aren't usually that good, they're just the
lesser of two evils.

>See the MS, even the "good" one could be designed with a look that decades
>later, museum goers would look at two MS reflecting the horrors of war and
>the two MS would act as a reminder of how horrible a war can be.

The problem I see here is that MS inherently aren't that destructive. Sure
you can mount a highly destructive weapon on one (nuke, massive beam rifle,
nerve gas, etc.) but it's the weapon, not the MS, that deals out the real
death and destruction.

>Of course, the MS still need to look decent enough to be able to justify
>some
>great model kits and toys to a good amount of consumers. :)
>
>These two "war horror" MS could gain their look over the course of the
>series, with an epic hero vs. hero, Amuro vs. Char type of duel at the end,
>with the MS in their final "war horror" look. This battle could be a
>NewType
>battle that purges humanity of its desire to fight or if not that, at least
>not to kill. This is realistic fiction, not realistic as in copying life,
>therefore creative liberties must be taken to make it worth while.

Part of the problem is that I don't belive in the "War to End All Wars." It
is a nice, optimistic concept, but thousands of years of human history
proove otherwise. The only real end to war will be if humanity destroys
itself.

>Before someone says why does it have to be a Gundam story?, I'll say why
>not?
>Gundam is always talking about how evil, pointless and horrible wars are.
>So
>we need a Gundam show that shows a possible warless future. Gundam shows
>the
>horrors of war, so why not a few Gundam titles that show humanity over
>coming
>war. Giant robots need to be looked into more. Why does it always have to
>be
>"soulless"? Why not make a giant robot show that is realistic, yet has
>robots
>that are characters? Let's explore A.I. and artificial life in a giant
>robot
>show. Make the giant robot a new life form, not just a "super hero" robot.
>Even Gundam is leaning in a hero robot direction, even some in 0079.

I think any "hero robot" trends you observe in the original series are just
spillover from other hero robot shows of the 70s.

>I want a realistic living piloted giant robot, that avoids that super hero
>robot thought process. The pilot could "raise" this robots mind and be a
>mentor to it. Of course there's got to be an opposing force/side with the
>same type of robot as well.

Sounds like Brainpowered to me. There a bit more subtle about the self
aware mecha than you seem to want to be, but it's there.