-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Thu, 18 May 2000 21:55:06 -0700

At 00:37 5/18/2000, you wrote:
>I'm a tad bored, so I thought it might be interesting to develop a
>list of
>all the names used for giant robots in various anime shows. What I mean by
>names is the generic term for any giant robot from that particular seriee.
>For instance from the Gundam universe the term I'd be looking for is Mobile
>Suit, not Gundam.
>
>The list so far (please feel free to add more):
>
>Mobile Suit (Gundam)
>Labor (Patlabor)
>Guymelef (Escaflowne)
>Mortar Head (Five Star Stories) - isn't there some odd spelling for this?
>? (Macross) - I don't quite know what to do for this one. Valkyrie is
>specific to the U.N. Spacy's transformable mobile suits. Battroid maybe?

The generic terms (plural) in Macross are Veritech and Destroid. The
Veritech is the transformable machine, with a humanoid (Battloid) and
aircraft (Fighter) mode, with a couple of intermediate stages (GERWALK and
Stalking Fighter) in between. The name Veritech signifies that it's a true
"giant robot" on one end and a true "fighter plane" on the other -- not a
"robot in disguise" where one of the modes in not fully functional. The VF
in the model number stands for Veritech Fighter.

Hmmm, let's see...

Appleseed had Landmates.
BattleTech has Battle Mechs.
Blassty had Cruise Chasers.
Brain Powerd had Antibodies.
Bubblegum Crisis had Hardsuits.
Cowboy Bebop had MONO Pods.
Dancougar had Beast Machines.
Dorvack had Powered Armor Machines.
Dougram had Combat (CB) Armors.
Dragonar had Metal Armors.
Dunbine had Aura Battlers.
Escaflowne had Guymelfs.
Evangelions had EVA and Angels.
Five Star Stories had Mortar Headds.
G-Gundam had Mobile Fighters.
Gaia Gear had Man Machines.
Galient had Panzer Knights.
Gall Force had the Bronze.
Gasaraki had Tactical Armors.
Go Lion had Robo Lions.
Gunbuster had Power Armor.
Gundam had Mobile Armor in addition to MS.
Gundam Wing had Mobile DOLLs in addition to MS/MA.
L.Gaim had Heavy Metals.
Layzner had Super Powered Tracers.
Macross had Veritechs and Destroids.
Mospeada had Ride Armor (bikes) and Legioss (Armored Fighter/Diver/Soldier).
Orguss had Veritechs (Macross Battloid/GERWALK/Fighter plus a Sonic Tank mode)
Patlabor had Labors.
Power Dolls had Power Loaders (after Aliens).
Starship Troopers had Powered Armor.
Southern Cross had Veritechs (Battloid/GERWALK and either Fighter or Tank).
Tekkaman had Space Knights.
Vifam had Sling Panniers.
Votoms had Armored Troopers.
Xabungle had Walker Machines.

So, what did I miss? I'm sure I didn't get all of them.

Gotta get 'em all...!

-Z-