Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Thu, 18 May 2000 21:27:02 MST

SNIP

>Ill give an industry viewpoint since I work in Animation.. I think the
>animated
>FILMS in the US are superior in animation quality , and storytelling(Not
>necessarily the STORY itself) .
>Our feature stuff has longer development and actual creation time. Disney
>usually takes 5years from script to finish, usually refining as the y go
>along.
>Most US animated features are better paced and easier to understand than
>Japanese counterparts. However most film are geared that someone under 10
>can
>understand it.

I agree that in terms of technical animation quality, most Disney films are
of a higher grade than most anime. I'd attribute this to Disney's much
larger budget.

>I felt that "X" was one of the WORST animated MOVIES Ive ever seen. Im not
>thrilled with the CLAMP style and direction. I can see X making a decent
>series, but the story was WAY too convoluted for a 2 hr movie. Ghost In
>The
>Shell had amazing visuals and design, but it lacked a coherent story and
>the
>animation was still not to par with Disney or Warners.. The Wings of
>Honneamise was a amazing work of Art. It was one of the most amazing 2
>hours to
>stare at. The story was good, but the pacing needed improvement, but it was
>forgiveable due to the overall amazing quaility of the film.. It actually
>had a
>decent ending , compared with some of the strange and vague endings many
>Japanese movies have. I think OVAs vary from decent to great, and probably
>the
>best shows from the past 10 years have been Macross Plus (ova),
>Escaflowne(just
>cant stand the NOSES!!) and Cowboy Bebop. Ironically enough these three
>mentioned have either Shoji Kowamoris direction or from his "team".. Giant
>Robo
>is another OVA I found to be quite nice for Japanese animation. It came
>very
>close to US quality. I definately will not Pass up Princess Monoke or some
>of
>other Miyazakis work.

The first time I saw the X movie it was at a convention. It was shown in
raw Japanese (I don't speak Japanese) so it confused the hell out of me. A
few months later, I saw a fansub at my local anime club and found seeing it
with subtitles didn't help much. A very confusing movie.

I agree that Ghost in the Shell was lacking as a story, but I can't say that
it falls short on any sort of technical level.

Macross Plus and Escaflowne are both shows I really like, but I haven't seen
Cowboy Bebop yet.

>I dont consider Evangelion to be a good show IMHO because it took a
>interesting
>concept and did a poor execution of it. The animation to me was
>substandard,
>and the story did not move forward enough. It was convoluted and too
>misleading
>, not to mention it had totally UNLIKEABLE characters. I dont know about
>you
>guys but, Shinji is a POS basketcase that deserved to be killed off in Ep
>01!!
>I think the hype of EVA led it to overshadow Escaflowne, a totally superior
>show in every way. I hope the Escaflowne movie will work in a 2 hr format
>.. It
>was a big story , and they have big job to rework it for a film. I hope it
>succeeds. In general for TV and OVA anime totally overshadows american
>animation in overall quality and story(simpsons and futurama stll have
>brilliant writing and storytelling).

I liked Eva (though it seems like a lot of people on this list don't). Sure
Shinji is an annoying little wimp, but the story and other characters are
interesting enough to me to offset this.

As far as Simpsons and Futurama go, I'd agree that they have excellent
writing, but I think they're storytelling suffers from the constraints of
American style episodic television.

>However in the FILM arena Anime still is a little behind in animation
>quality(Princess Monoke was very close in animation quality) and has hits
>and
>misses to story...To me in terms of a masterpiece would be between Toy
>Story 2
>and Iron Giant. Both had GREAT story. Great art direction, Great Character
>development, Storytelling, pacing, and Animation. I still havent found an
>Anime
>Feature that meets ALL these criteria.. However in terms of Broadcast ,
>anime
>has the best quality- to turnaround..I love to watch anime for what it is ,
>and
>theres so much good stuff , not to mention loads of Gundams to choose from.
>Dismissing anime is really bad and narrow minded, but not realizing the
>quality
>of classic animated shorts and films is narrow mined too...

As far as the old stuff, I like the WB and MGM shorts but I think the best
pre-50s animation is the old Superman shorts.

If you're looking for good anime feature films, I'd reccomend Macross Plus
the Movie, Porco Rosso and Memories.