Alfred Urrutia (ledzep@d2.com)
Thu, 18 May 2000 20:58:45 -0700

Brandon Perlow wrote:

> Ill give an industry viewpoint since I work in Animation.. I think the animated
> FILMS in the US are superior in animation quality , and storytelling(Not
> necessarily the STORY itself) .

I'll give you that with the older classic Disney movies. The ones from the last
15 years are just average. And I disagree about the animation quality. Not in
the amount of animation, but the style. Using Ghost In The Shell as an example,
watch the way the people in that movie walk, run, shoot, turn their heads, etc.
Looks like people. Now, watch a movie like Tarzan or Prince Of Egypt. You can
argue that "it's a style" but they're still not natural movements for the people.
We all know what people look like when they walk and talk. It's the reason that
cg people are so hard to pull off - we have the most experience with seeing them
and know immediately when something doesn't feel right. GITS felt right, the
whole time.

> Our feature stuff has longer development and actual creation time. Disney
> usually takes 5years from script to finish, usually refining as the y go along.
> Most US animated features are better paced and easier to understand than
> Japanese counterparts. However most film are geared that someone under 10 can
> understand it.

Under 10 is right. I worked Dinosaur. Depending on what version you're talking
about it either took 5 years or 10 years to complete. Either way, the animation
is poor and the story stinks. It takes as long as it takes because you have
uncreative clowns like Eisner and Schumaker making 'creative' decisions. You have
the marketing guys making decisions. Why?

And so what if it's hard to understand. You want a story spoonfed to you? You
want everyone to direct and tell stories like Spielberg does all the time? Those
kinds of stories are insulting. Absolutely everything must be explained, no loose
ends, etc., just because audiences here are trained to not think during movies.

> However in the FILM arena Anime still is a little behind in animation
> quality(Princess Monoke was very close in animation quality) and has hits and
> misses to story...To me in terms of a masterpiece would be between Toy Story 2
> and Iron Giant. Both had GREAT story. Great art direction, Great Character
> development, Storytelling, pacing, and Animation. I still havent found an Anime
> Feature that meets ALL these criteria.. However in terms of Broadcast , anime
> has the best quality- to turnaround..I love to watch anime for what it is , and
> theres so much good stuff , not to mention loads of Gundams to choose from.
> Dismissing anime is really bad and narrow minded, but not realizing the quality
> of classic animated shorts and films is narrow mined too...

Well, timing and pacing from old WB and MGM shorts is second to none. Honestly,
to have guys like Tex Avery and Chuck Jones knowing down to the *frame* whether a
gag would work or not, having to pace a story to fit into less than 7 minutes
(Coal Black And De Sebben Dwarves is a masterpiece) and having it work all the
time, that's nuts. I wish I had that talent.

Alfred.