David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Thu, 18 May 2000 20:59:41 -0700 (PDT)

> I felt that "X" was one of the WORST animated MOVIES Ive ever seen. Im
not
> thrilled with the CLAMP style and direction. I can see X making a decent
> series, but the story was WAY too convoluted for a 2 hr movie.

Yeah. It was pretty bad. No going around it. Characterization sucks, plot is
unattainable, and dialogue is banal.

 Ghost In The
> Shell had amazing visuals and design, but it lacked a coherent story and
the
> animation was still not to par with Disney or Warners..

The plot itself was simple, but the dialogue and script needed polishing.
Much of the political hoohah should be cut out and more focus should have
been put on the emotional dimension. Having Kusanagi wandering around
looking like she wants to find a "soul" was pretty sad...they needed to play
that up more. Not sentimental like Data on Star Trek:TNG, but should be
almost sad in a cold way...

 The Wings of
> Honneamise was a amazing work of Art. It was one of the most amazing 2
hours to
> stare at. The story was good, but the pacing needed improvement, but it
was
> forgiveable due to the overall amazing quaility of the film.. It actually
had a
> decent ending , compared with some of the strange and vague endings many
> Japanese movies have.

I think "Wings" was an uneven film, but alive in its underlying passion.
Basically, it was a film that was made when you give a bunch of talented
fanboys a lot of money to work with. It's not perfect, but you can FEEL the
blood, if you will, underneath the work. Feel that pulse? You can polish a
film, rewrite a script, draw a million frames and make it nigh-perfect...but
if it has no soul the film is nothing. I would say Hercules or Aladdin fall
under this category. But then, so does the Pokemon movie and a gazillion
other anime TV to movie transitions. I did think the Pokemon movie acheived
what it wanted, though.

think OVAs vary from decent to great, and probably the
> best shows from the past 10 years have been Macross Plus (ova),
Escaflowne(just
> cant stand the NOSES!!)

I think they make them more ugly, which is good for anime. Sometimes they
doth look too cute.

> I dont consider Evangelion to be a good show IMHO because it took a
interesting
> concept and did a poor execution of it. The animation to me was
substandard,
> and the story did not move forward enough. It was convoluted and too
misleading
> , not to mention it had totally UNLIKEABLE characters. I dont know about
you
> guys but, Shinji is a POS basketcase that deserved to be killed off in Ep
01!!
> I think the hype of EVA led it to overshadow Escaflowne, a totally
superior
> show in every way. I hope the Escaflowne movie will work in a 2 hr format
..

EVA was probably the first REAL "independent" TV show. It looked like
something out of the French Wave indie boom, like "Breathless" or "The 400
Blows." I don't think it accomplished what it wanted to, and I didn't really
warm to the style, but its creation did make me glad that there was a
company like Gainax that was in the business.

> However in the FILM arena Anime still is a little behind in animation
> quality(Princess Monoke was very close in animation quality) and has hits
and
> misses to story...To me in terms of a masterpiece would be between Toy
Story 2
> and Iron Giant. Both had GREAT story. Great art direction, Great
Character
> development, Storytelling, pacing, and Animation. I still havent found an
Anime
> Feature that meets ALL these criteria..

I'd say "Kiki's Delivery Service" would be a good one. Of course, when you
say "good pacing," I'm not sure if the slow pace of your regular Miyazaki
film may be a detriment, which I don't find necessarily true.

I'm sure there are others here that will debate your "good animation"
argument. The "floaty" look of, say, Aladdin or even Tarzan does not sit
well with many in terms of storytelling. Smooth animation CAN be
counterproductive.

 However in terms of Broadcast , anime
> has the best quality- to turnaround..I love to watch anime for what it is
, and
> theres so much good stuff , not to mention loads of Gundams to choose
from.
> Dismissing anime is really bad and narrow minded, but not realizing the
quality
> of classic animated shorts and films is narrow mined too...
>
> My advice enjoy great work regardless where it comes from!!

Heh. Well, most of the non-anime newsgroups and talkboards I go to are
because I find interest in them. That's why I get into some wonderfully
heated discussions about anime and Hanna-Barbera (initiated by a passing
comment from someone else, of course. I find that most of these old-school
fans don't tend to wander into anime newsgroups--they're just not
interested. That's fine, but the festering bitterness isn't. Obviously there
are exceptions, but overall, it's an "us versus them" mentality, which I
find sad.

C-c-can't we all j-just get along?

Jojo