David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Thu, 18 May 2000 14:35:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 18 May 2000 01:27:17 -0700, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> Freedom045@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I don't care how the direct translation is supposed to be. It will
ALWAYS be CHAR AZNABLE.
> > I simply tell uninformed people that its prounced "Char" as in
"Charlotte" or "Charlemagne", I've had little difficulty communicating this
point to anyone.
> > In 99% of the fan references I have seen, the main nemesis of the
Gundam Saga is ALWAYS: CHAR Aznable Every reference I have seen come out of
Japan is "CHAR". I don't know where they find people (who always find their
way into doing the official
> > translations) who insist that is must be "Sha". (Take THAT Fred
Schodt!)

> Now don't get your panties in a bunch. ^_^ I have always used the Char
spelling, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I just agreed that most
Characters pronounce it as Shaa.

Since "Char" is not a name I've heard much of in real life, I think it would
be best to say that everyone just stick to the version they like. Anyway,
it's not like the Japanese always pronounce English names the right way
either. Witness "Spike-uh", "Jet-uh" or "Vaughneela" (That's Vanilla, by the
way).

Jojo