David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Thu, 18 May 2000 15:36:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 18 May 2000 18:30:57 -0400, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> I hate when I find this stuff....what is it with some people and anime! I
mean, it's OK to not like it, but I really hate it when people go out of
their way to insult it's fans, and even question the way in which it is
made. Anyway, here are some excerpts from a particuarlly annoying article
from some guy:

> From Deja.com, by Steven Bailey,:
>
> "It's pronounced "ah-NEE-may," but for this cartoon fan at least, "anime"
= "anemic.one gathers that the garish violence is what's attracting the
kiddies.All of the characters have the same glassy eyes and barely moving
lips (it costs less to animate them that way, you know). And the characters
all move the same way: little more than they need to.
> After being spoiled in the last few years with imaginative cartoons such
as Space Jam, The Rugrats Movie, and The Iron Giant--not to mention the
high-quality Disney productions of the past decade--it's insulting to be
served a cartoon whose style is almost as nausea-inspiring as the jittery
camera techniques of The Blair Witch Project. Even an average episode of
"The Simpsons" has more thought behind it than this.. If this crudely
animated stuff is enough to attract a following, what would its fans do if
someone showed them a real cartoon?"

Who's Steven Bailey? Is he a critic? Although you said this is from deja, I
seem to remember his name. What an ass. I hate it when mainstream critics
spew crap like this. At leat they could be more diplomatic about it if it'd
not their thing. Oh well, it's not a critic's job to be diplomatic, anyway.

I'd rant, but I don't like to spout if my target isn't in front of me. And
I'm not gonna e-mail him just to take him up on it. So...

What an ass.

Jojo