Freedom045@aol.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 18:10:41 EDT

In a message dated Thu, 18 May 2000 5:45:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Tomonaga <Tomonaga@xtra.co.nz> writes:

<< Let me just step in and clarify something once and for all. Like Brett and Tom said, although the name is written as Char Aznable in english, the correct
pronounciation is 'Sha-a' like the 'Char' in Charlotte and NOT 'Char' as in Char grilled. This has nothing to do with translation or Japanese not being able to pronounce it or whatever. Yes, it can be read in two different ways but only one on them is his name and that is Char pronounced as if spelt Shar. If you have been pronouncing it the other way, it's perfectly understandable and you can continue to do so if you prefer but let it be known that it's incorrect.

If you have problems accepting the above, consider the singer Cher. Here's a similar name that can be read two ways but only one is correct right ? : )

Great point.

I was wondering, I haven't seen the Anime Village subtitled versions of the Gundam movies. Are they spelling it Char or Sha?

Tom