Peter Savin (pedro@shiporama.org)
Thu, 18 May 2000 14:55:46 -0700

On 5/18/00 Tet wrote:

>You probably find it easier pronouncing the names if you read/decipher the
katakana version.

I used to be able to read a bit of katakana (learned from model
instructions), but this has long since been replaced by TCP/IP geek speak in
my brain. :)

>Zssa should actually be just plain old 'Zu sa'.

Ahhh, much better. :) I actually seem to remember seeing it written that
way somewhere, now that I think about it. Excellent MS, btw.

>I've always wondered how the English speaking fans pronounced some of the
names
>in Gundam and the Gouf was always near the top of my list.
>
>The Japanese name is 'Gu fu'. How do you pronounce it to avoid it sounding
like
>Goof ?

I don't, it just looks like "goof" to me. :) Is that "Gu" as in "guh" (like
gun), or "Gu" as in "goo" (like goop)?

Hmm, I guess I don't know how to pronounce my favorite, Bawoo (Bau). I
assume that because of the different spellings the "w" is a soft sound, so
the Bau translation is more accurate? The list goes on, I'm sure...

Peter Savin
bawoo@shiporama.org