Freedom045@aol.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 15:30:47 EDT

In a message dated Thu, 18 May 2000 3:09:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, MS06ZAK@aol.com writes:

<< In a message dated Thu, 18 May 2000 12:21:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Brett Jensen <heero@earthlink.net> writes: Umm... It is pretty much pronounced: Sha Aznaburu soft CH and almost silent R. It
always used to bug me when newbies would say: "I want to see Char's Counterattack", With a hard CH sound like Charcoal. That and Gun-damn....brrr.

---Brett Jensen >>

<<But then Howcome in the original Japanese series, whenever (out of the million times) Amuro yells Char you can hear the "r" sound?

Jason >>

I don't care how the direct translation is supposed to be. It will ALWAYS be CHAR AZNABLE.

I simply tell uninformed people that its prounced "Char" as in "Charlotte" or "Charlemagne", I've had little difficulty communicating this point to anyone.

In 99% of the fan references I have seen, the main nemesis of the Gundam Saga is ALWAYS: CHAR Aznable

Every reference I have seen come out of Japan is "CHAR". I don't know where they find people (who always find their way into doing the official translations) who insist that is must be "Sha". (Take THAT Fred Schodt!)

I don't get it.

I can understand there are always differences as to how some characters names come out different to different people (Bright Noah, Brite Noa), but in this case, I think it important that such an important character's name be firmly established.

I don't want to pick up a copy of "Sha's Counterattack", I want "CHAR'S Counterattack"

When you get down to it, I just simply feel that "Sha" just seems wimpy and lame when compared to "Char".

Anyone else agree, or disagree?

Tom