Peter Savin (bawoo@shiporama.org)
Wed, 17 May 2000 21:49:58 -0700

> Am working on a 1/144 bawoo at home, and I've pretty much figured out how
> put PC hands on it (takes some surgery, but it can be done).

I just got mine (built one years ago, but it's long gone), so I haven't
started on it. The hands are horrible, so this is definitely a must.

> My problem is
> that in the manual illustrations/art, the backpack can detach, but the kit
isn't
> built that way. it uses some kind of hook and lock system. any ideas?

This is the first thing I noticed when trying to figure out what's wrong
with the kit. It won't be easy to fix, because of the hinge required for
the transformation. Hmmm...I guess I'd leave that part alone, but you might
be able to chop of the part it hinges on, then attach a rod sticking off the
back of that, and put a polycap in the torso. He would look bare without
the backpack anyway. :)

>Another thing...the knee is constructed such
> that the knee joint is actually in an awkward position. would it be a
good
> idea to redo this and come up with a double joint?

It looks like the joint on the "real" Bawoo is sort of like that of the
ReGZ, with the "knee" a hinged seperate part. I don't really see how he
could get much movement at the knee without having a joint which could
actually extend out of the armor to give some extra room to move when it
bends. :(

>This sort of modification
> is one part I have no uexperience in utterly. and the skirt plates are
one
> piece -- or at least, immovable. would it be a good idea to cut make them
separate
> moving plates? or would that be useless, considering the kit's size?

Well, you kind of just have to jump in, and be prepared to chop up and ruin
some kits (having an extra would be handy). I definitely plan to chop off
the skirt armor and hinge it. The design isn't such that you could really
do alot of dynamic stuff with the legs, but I find the look of hinged waste
armor is better, even if you don't use it (looks pretty stiff as is). I
think cutting off the armor protecting the top of the foot and hinging it
would be cool also (you'd have to rebuild the top of the foot with sheet
plastic).

I'm actually thinking of skipping the transformation so I can make the MS
mode look better (what the heck IS the Bawoo Nutter??). I'd like to beef up
the red chest piece by moving it toward the front and puttying it a bit, all
good MS need big chest and groins. :) The arm articulation could be
improved as well, but I haven't put much thought into it yet. He also needs
better verniers on the back of his ankles. All in all, this is one of the
best looking ZZ kits, though. Gotta love the Bawoo...

Man, I really want a MG Bawoo!

Peter Savin
bawoo@shiporama.org