Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Sun, 14 May 2000 17:25:04 -0700

Al asks,

>1) Exactly what is Axis?
>
> I kind of gather it's where the Zeon seperatist survivors fled to after
> OYW, but what is the "Axis Advance Fleet" out of 0083? Are they and the
> Delaz fleet just different factions of the survivors? One went to Axis,
> Delaz stayed closer to Earth?

  Exactly. The main Axis force shows up in Z Gundam and its semi-sequel,
Gundam ZZ...

>2) How many Gundams were actually produced?
>
> It seems to me that they were mostly just short run prototypes, a la the
> RX-78, or custom built models like the Nu Gundam. Apart from the RX-78(G)
> were there ever multiple Gundams made?

  Actually, even the original Gundam spawned a large number of variants.
By some accounts, there were 8 RX-78 units - three which were sent to
Side 7 for testing, one which became 0080's Alex, and four extras which
were to be converted to the Full Armor Type. There were also enough spare
parts left over to build 20 RX-79 units, including the dozen land combat
versions seen in 08th MS Team.

  Most of the Gundams we see between 0083 and Gundam F91 are strictly
experimental, unlike the original Gundam, which was designed for
mass-production (though it underwent a lot of cost-cutting and
simplification along the way). V Gundam gives us the return of the
mass-produced Gundam.

-- Mark