Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Sun, 14 May 2000 00:50:05 MST

> Is Gundam 0080 good? I don't see how something centered around a
>10-year-old could be. What all is it about?

IMHO, Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket is the best Gundam series out there.
That said, it is probably the most unique all the various Gundam series, and
this uniqueness seems to turn some people off.

0080 has a very humanistic perspective, unlike the more epic scale of other
Gundams. Rather than being driven by battles which will decide the fate of
the nation/war/human race 0080 focuses on the interaction between it's
primary characters. It really delves into why a person chooses to fight and
what war does to them in a much more realistic way than say, Gundam Wing.

The best way I can describe it is to say that in most Gundam series, the
character interaction seems to exist so we'll care about these characters
when they go into battle. The character moments are the setup and the
battles are the payoff. In 0080, it's just the opposite. The battles (and
there are only 3 big ones in a six episode series) exist to define the
dynamics of the character interaction. The fighting is the setup and the
character stuff is the payoff.

Overall, you could say that 0080 is smaller in scope than other Gundam
series, but much richer in detail.