Tomonaga (Tomonaga@xtra.co.nz)
Sat, 13 May 2000 09:18:22 +1200

-Z- wrote:

> At 22:52 5/10/2000, you wrote:
> >I would be really amazed if this show was ever brought to the west. If it
> >helps
> >the Japanese title was 'Ikkyu-san' after the boy's adopted monastic name.
> >
> >Here is a picture of him
> >http://www.geocities.co.jp/Milkyway-Kaigan/1935/soujyunn.jpg
> >
> >The Kanji shown is his name Ikkyu.
>
> AH, I found it! Ikkyu-san aired from 15 October 1975 to 28 June 1982 --
> over 7 years -- a respectable run for any TV show. And I've seen this
> little tyke before, though I can't say where. I can't make out the kanji,
> but it doesn't seem to be the one for "first class" (which would've been my
> first guess) -- is it a play on words?

The second kanji is the character for 'rest', and no it's not a play on the
words since he was a real life monk and the name was presumeably given to him
when he entered the Zen Buddhist monastery at age 6. There is also a very
subtle difference in the way his name and 'first class' is pronounced.

Tet