Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Thu, 11 May 2000 10:53:22 MST

>I can try and comment on 1 and 2 but I'm not sure about 3
>1. I assume that trees would grow straight up since there is no wind
>inside a colony. The atmosphere would be moving in the same direction and
>speed as the inside of the colony so anyone or thing would feel that there
>is no wind. This however can cause problems from what scientist learned at
>the BioSphere-2. The scientist did everything they could to create a self
>contained world except for one thing, they did not create any internal
>mechanisms for creating wind. So, any tree that grew over 25 feet became
>very prone to tipping over. Apparently, wind is a big factor in tree
>growth. As the wind moves the growing tree this cause the outer bark to
>strengthen so that the tree can support its own weight. So anyone working
>on a colony should consider a mechanism for creating wind to help in tree
>growth.

Actually, the temperature differential (one end of the colony is allways
pointing the sun, while the other is allways in shadow) would produce a
constant flow of wind, which would be turned into a corkscrew pattern by the
corolis force. See the excellent High Frontier page for details on this and
almost every other aspect of space colony life in the Gundam universe:
http://www.dyarstraights.com/msgundam/frontier.html

>What about the momentum of the rotating colony, would that cause the tree
>to bend. I would say no, because anything attached to the colony would
>obtain the same momentum as the rotating colony.
>
>2. What your talking about is the coriolis (I think that's spelled right)
>effect. And the answer is, Yes. This can cause problems with the
>inhabitants when the rotation is less then 1 rotation per 60 seconds. Look
>at the spining rides at the amusement parks, they rotate more then once per
>60 seconds and the effect is dizziness, and vomiting. That speed is fun
>for a ride but not fun to live in.
>
>To generate 1-Gee the minimum you would need for 1 rotation per 60 seconds
>is a radius of about 900 meters. So you would want a colony with a radius
>greater then 900 meters. By increasing the radius you also increase the
>rotation time needed to generate 1G. For example, a colony of 1,500 meters
>would rotate once every 77.7 seconds

The O'Neil Island 3 design (on which the UC Gundam colonies are based) has a
diameter of 6.4km and rotates once every two minutes to produce earth normal
gravity (though the animation exaggerates this).

>3. For this question, the only thing I can think of 'Is the asteroid large
>enough to spin to create artificial gravity?' If these things are too big
>they can create their own very weird artificial gravity which would be very
>uncomfortable for anyone trying to live on it.

>Vince Leon
>vleon@u.arizona.edu

Go Wildcats!