David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Wed, 10 May 2000 12:05:21 -0700 (PDT)

On 10 May 2000 18:39:01 -0000, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2000 11:05:10 -0700 Brett Jensen <heero@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> >core@gundam.com wrote:

> >> I don't really know it, what do you see in it? I like Macross, Orguss
and
> >> perhaps Mospeda. But Southern Cross is...
> >
> >Lots of reasons. It has very imaginative mecha designs, Great animation
(for
> >most episodes), The battle scenes are often epic, with tons of fighter
planes
> >getting blown up . I personally like the way the mecha move, they feel
very
> >"heavy" yet not as slow as the ground pounders in Dougram.
> >

> I agree. It is my favorite portion of Robotech, because of its epic
battles and mecha designs, and I agree about the story. Now, if we could
only get rid of the main character (I forget her Southern Cross name, but
you know, Dana Sterling in Robotech). I've been thinking about ordering the
ST from Animenation.

I understand that the heroine (Dana S in Robotech) is quite different in the
Japanese version. For one thing, she's closer to your typical anime heroine
in the 90s, caring about shopping, clothes, and aesthetics in her personal
life, while being serious and focused as a pilot in her "soldier life." I
think many would find that the Robotech version may actually be more
accessible, as she is portrayed as more of a real soldier than a person with
a dual life.

Don't quote me on this, though. Maybe someone else can put things in better
perspective here.

Jojo