Federico Makabenta (yenm@iconn.com.ph)
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:56:50 +0800

Sometimes people are just a bit too judgmental on dubbed voices. I've seen
several anime first in Jap then dubbed into English and Filipino (here).

(Oh yeah, they're showing the dubbed English Escaflowne here - they're using
Philippine TV as a test market again for US TV. Where is it going to air I
wonder? You guys are definitely going to get this show on American TV...)

To tell you honestly, people sometimes have preconceived notions as to how a
character should be done - usually from watching the original Jap voice
actors.

A recent instance I noticed was the change of Meowth's voice from the
Japanese version of Pokemon. Meowth in the original Japanese sounded like a
stereotypical Sentai villain sidekick which irritated the hell out of me.
The "wiseguy" sidekick in the American version worked better.

Sorry about this next one :) - couldn't resist...

Gundam pokemon:

Ash: "Hyaku Shiki - I choose you!!!"
Hyakumon: "Bajeena... Bajeena..."