Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:28:30 MST

> Another thing to wonder about. If I'm not mistaken, a returning
>radio wave from a radar would have it's wavelength changed -- that's why
>Doppler radar works, I think (I'm not too sure here). If I understand it
>correctly, Minovsky particles might affect these, making your return
>signature useless for detection.

Doppler radar was developed to track targets flying close to the ground.
With a conventional radar you get the return signature from the target about
the same time you get the return signature from your radar wave hitting the
ground. This makes it very hard to pick out the airplane you want to track
from all the ground clutter. Doppler radar works because radar waves which
bounce back from a moving target have their frequency changed. What the
radar does, basically, is isolate the returning radar signals which have had
their frequency changed and ignores all the rest. Of course, these days,
there are many other uses for doppler radar, such as tracking thunderstorms
or tornados, but the principle is allways the same. A moving target will
cause the return signal's frequency to shift.

As for what effect Minovski particles would have on doppler rader, I have
absolutely no idea.