Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:06:21 -0700

><< Dude, it's a manga _ADAPTATION_, not a film book of the anime series.
> Plenty of creative license were taken to speed up the pace (you gotta
> admit, structurally, Wing's pacing on TV was slow and unorganized).
> If you think this is bad, wait until you see the manga adaptation of V Gundam
> or Gundam X. >>
>
>I understand that. But man, when people take creative liberties, they sure as
>hell take them.

When the Gundam TV series was recompiled into 3 movies, the same thing
happens. You get stuff that never appeared before replacing what was
originally in the series. I am glad the manga doesn't keep stupid scenes
like the one where the mobile doll Virgos:

1 - allowed Quatre, piloting a capitured Aries, to approach and destroy
    one of them without any pre-emptive strike or immediate targeting
    and attacking after this Aries has proved to be a threat,

2 - allowed Quatre in his Aries to carry on a conversation with Heero while
    the mobile dolls are just standing around picking their nose, forgetting
    that they were attacking Heero's Leo,

3 - allow another aircraft (Noin's) to approach the battlefield without
    attacking it, and

4 - wait for the buster rifle to be picked up, aimed, and fired, all without
    doing something to make their superhuman reflexes useful.

>I'll have to wait till the DVD is released here to hear the Japanese VA, but
>his whole look just seems very drastic from he show. He looks like he's a nut.

He was supposed to be a bit unbalanced, psychologically. The English VA
sounded way too bland and old. Talk to some people who saw the original Wing
and ask what they think of the VA they used for the English soundtrack.

><<It was not a smile... it was a transitional expression from being happy
>(right after she handed him the invitation) to utter fear and confusion.>>
>
>Are we talking about the same scene here? I'm talking about the one where
>Relena finds him on the beach, he pops up ready to blow her head off, and she
>just smiles and goes "What?"

Ah, got the scenes mixed up, but her expression in that panel is commonly
seen in manga as a confused (sometimes airhead) expression. She was
expecting him to thank her for rescuing him and she probably thought Heero
was joking when she got an unexpected reply.

It's probably a cultural thing - I've been reading manga since I was
little, so there was nothing weird about that particular scene, but people
who aren't as exposed to manga (Japanese comics) might find it weird.

><<Write them a letter and voice your complaint, I'd be interested to see if
>they'll publish it in an upcoming issue. You might even get a job out of
>it.>>
>
>I'm preparing to do such. Of course I'm going to have an even larger list of
>complaints as far as their (piss poor) writing/translating job goes, since
>whining to them about the art and whatnot is pointless.

Bitch and moan about the the flipping while you're at it... how come only
Evangelion got a non-flipped edition treatment?

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0