Blackeagle (cdupchurch@hotmail.com)
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 01:22:23 MST

<SNIP>

>In an effort to steer the post back toward the previous discussions, I
>guess you
>can say post war Japan is a real life example of a pacifist nation having
>maintain armed forces to defend itself from a threat real or imagined.

"Armed forces are almost always raised for defense. But once you have all
this armed strength, there is the temptation to use it. A large dollop of
military force encourages nations to be more aggressive in their dealings
with others. Military and diplomatic adventures become more common. This
causes wars to start by accident, the result of playing with fire" - James
F. Dunnigan 'How to Make War'

It's a nasty dilemma, if you've got a military, it tends to make you
aggressive and your neighbors nervous, no matter how much of a pacifist you
claim to be. On the other hand, if you don't have a military, it's like
walking down a dark alley at night with a "mug me" sign.

>In this day and age, I really wish that people would give up the whole idea
>of
>taking another country by force. I'm sure the world would be a much better
>place
>and there would be no more sabre rattling to trigger an arms race...
>
>To repeat a quote Z posted earlier - Can't we just get along ?

There's always hope, but there's also 3000 years of history which would
indicate otherwise.