core@gundam.com
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:16:55 -0400 (EDT)

Blackeagle wrote:
> >Three ground-attack squadrons? That's getting pretty scary... Have they
> >have any military exercise recently?
>
> So far as I know, Japan has not actually shot at anyone (except Godzilla)
> since WWII.
>
> I don't really see why you find it scary, while it may not be as glamorous
> as air to air, every air force needs some "mud movers".

Hehe why not have bulldozers than?

Hmm why I found it scary? When I was in Tokyo 2 years ago, I ran into a
pretty noisy demonstration by the right-wing party (forgot the name).
Luckily I didn't look like a foreigner, and so I make a big curve and
hightailed it. And I saw many public bulletins pasted on lampposts and
walls from this rather un-pacifist party. I took pictures of 2 of them, I
can't find them just now. But I remember the gist of it. One demands
retribution from America for the crimes committed against Japan during and
after WW2, and the other one demands that Manchuria should be returned to
Japan.

When I ask my Japanese hosts about them, they said that the young people
are really supporting this right-wing party. And iirc, they have had a
few MP's already. And in Japanese politics, that's a pretty big
achievement by itself.

What really scares me is that if a whole generation of young people grow
up thinking that WW2 was a great injustice to Japan. And having grown up
in boundless wealth, have now to face some minor hardship. And being
(rightfully) proud of their country, and begin to feel that they need more
"living space" (what's the German word for that?) and that they could and
should become even greater if only these damn foreigners would stop
sitting on Japan's back and stealing from Japan's pocket.

If we learn anything from the 30s, let's hope that the next depression
doesn't hit the current superpower too hard: US, Russia, Japan and
Germany.

> The F-15J is locally built and many of it's electronic use Japanese designed
> equivelants to U.S. hardware.

Isn't it true that a lot of critical electronics for American military
hardware are only produced in Japan?

BTW, I don't think anyone mentioned it here. But the Japanese government
is talking (or acting?) to restrict export of PlayStation 2, because the
graphics chip in these toys are more advanced than those used in a lot
radar and missile systems around the world.

Name: Core
Patient ID: #1
Condition: Critical